Alan S. Wernick
- -- Private practice for more than thirty years and a member of the bars of Illinois, New York, Ohio, and the District of Columbia. Admitted to practice in the Federal Courts: U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Court of Appeals: 6th and 7th Circuits; U.S. District Courts: Northern District of Illinois, Northern District of Ohio, and Southern District of Ohio.
- -- Both "big law firm" and in-house General Counsel experience in addition to a background in computer programming, accounting (auditing), and business.
- -- Representation of businesses in numerous transactions involving information technology law, intellectual property law (copyright, trademark, trade secrets, licensing), and data privacy/cybersecurity. This work includes negotiating and drafting various types of business agreements, compliance counselling, conducting due diligence related to IT and IP law.
- -- Representation of businesses which have had a data breach.
- -- An arbitrator and mediator of information technology and intellectual property disputes for more than thirty years. Serves on several panels for the American Arbitration Association including the Large Complex Case Panel, the Technology Disputes Panel, the Intellectual Property Disputes Panel, the Privacy/Cybersecurity Panel, and the Commercial Disputes Panel.
- -- An advocate in the federal and state courts for client disputes concerning information technology and intellectual property.
- -- Professional activities include:
- Fellow at the Ponemon Institute.
- Member of the Alumni Board, Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University.
- Chairman of the Board, Computer Law, Intellectual Property, and Privacy Law ("CLIPP") Advisory Council for Wolters Kluwer Publishing. The CLIPP Advisory Council consisted of representatives from Fortune 100 companies, universities, and private law firms); organized bi-monthly conference calls to discuss recent development in the areas of computer law, intellectual property law, and privacy/cybersecurity law; organized an annual retreat/symposium sponsored by Wolters Kluwer for thought leaders in the areas of computer law, intellectual property law, and privacy/cybersecurity law. (From 2002 to 2016).
- Member, American Bar Association (member, Business Law Section; member, Cyberspace Law Committee; member, Dispute Resolution Section).
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association (founder of the Computer Law Committee; Treasurer (2020 to present), Corporate Counsel Section; member Federal Practice Committee; member Ethics Committee).
- Member, Chicago Bar Association (member, Cyber Law & Data Privacy committee; member, Intellectual Property Law; member, Federal Civil Practice; member, Professional Responsibility; member, Alternative Dispute Resolution).
- -- A prolific author and presenter at public and private seminars discussing various topics evolving at the intersection of business, technology, and the law including:
- Author of more than 100 publications on a variety of topics, including articles on law, technology, privacy, and business.
- Publisher of the “ITIP Alert” a periodic e-mail newsletter with over 2000 subscribers.
- Lecturer at more than 100 public and private lectures for lawyers, business people, and undergraduate and graduate students.
More information can be found at Alan's LinkedIn profile.